Connect with us

World News

Niger crisis puts US in ‘tough spot’ as coup leaders refuse to back down on August 9, 2023 at 10:00 am

Published

on

The military coup in Niger is threatening to engulf the region in a broader conflict while endangering a key U.S. security partnership in West Africa, where instability has given rise to growing terrorist threats.

The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) will meet Thursday to discuss the situation in Niger and potential action, after the coup leaders failed to reverse course by a Sunday deadline set by the regional group. 

ECOWAS could impose economic sanctions or deploy military forces to the teetering country, where junta leader Abdourahamane Tchiani is standing by his self-imposed rule after toppling Niger President Mohamed Bazoum late last month. 

The crisis could shift the global balance of power in the region, as Niger has been a key Washington ally and hosts 1,100 U.S. troops largely deployed for counterterrorism efforts. 

Advertisement

Bryan Stern, founder and CEO of the international search and rescue nonprofit Project Dynamo, which works in West Africa, noted the Niger junta has already exchanged supportive signals with Russia’s mercenary company Wagner Group, which has sown instability across the region. 

Stern, a military veteran, said the U.S. is in “a tough spot” but should send a strong message that it won’t pack up and leave by bolstering its defenses and limiting evacuations to nonessential personnel.

“We have a very, very long track record of imposing administrative things on war, which doesn’t really work,” he argued. “So we demand a guy who just overthrew a government that he leave the White House in Niger? Why would he do that?”

Pentagon deputy press secretary Sabrina Singh said the U.S. has paused military activity and training in Niger while it pushes for a “peaceful resolution” to the conflict, but said there was no planned withdrawal from the country.

Advertisement

“The United States does not want to abandon Nigerians that we’ve partnered with,” Singh said at a Tuesday press conference, referring to joint forces stationed in Niger. 

“Niger is, of course, an important ally within the region when it comes to counterterrorism and other operations, [and] it sends an incredibly effective message that we have not changed our force posture, that we have not taken our troops out right now.”

Flights to Niger have been shut down amid the crisis, which the U.S. has so far refused to call a “coup.” Western diplomats are still working to resolve the crisis peacefully, pushing for the release of Bazoum and the restoration of the constitutional government — though the window for mediation appears to be rapidly closing.

“Diplomacy is certainly the preferred way of resolving this situation,” said Secretary of State Antony Blinken in a Monday interview. “What we are seeing in Niger is extremely troubling and provides nothing to the country and its people.

Advertisement

“On the contrary, the interruption of this constitutional order puts us, and many other countries, in a position where we have to stop our aid, our support, and this will not benefit the people of Niger.”

A United Nations spokesperson Tuesday said the organization also supports the diplomatic route and was in touch with ECOWAS about solutions.

Acting Deputy Secretary of State Victoria Nuland traveled to the capital of Niamey on Monday to speak with junta leaders and representatives. 

Nuland said in a call with reporters after the meeting that the “conversations were extremely frank and at times quite difficult.”

Advertisement

“It was not easy to get traction there,” Nuland said. “They are quite firm in their view on how they want to proceed, and it does not comport with the constitution of Niger.”

However, Tchiani has rejected attempts to mediate the tensions. The military ruler says he seized power from the democratically elected Bazoum because of widespread economic insecurity and festering violence, though it may have arisen from Bazoum considering removing Tchiani from his post, according to analysts.

Daniel Eizenga, a research fellow with the Africa Center for Strategic Studies at the National Defense University, which is funded by the Pentagon, said Tchiani likely understands that negotiations at this moment would result in the dissolution of his power.

So the military leader is “waiting it out“ to see if he can retain his hold on power and survive economic sanctions, Eizenga added. But those sanctions could quickly lead to major cuts to military paychecks, eroding his key base of support. 

Advertisement

“The reality is they have relatively little leverage. Their only card to play here is that they’re holding the legitimate president hostage,” Eizenga said. “And so long as they’re starved of recognition from the broader region and they continue to face the sanctions that they’ve been placed under, I think they’re gonna find that the room that they have to govern is pretty small.”

ECOWAS is made up of 15 member nations in West Africa, including Niger itself. The bloc has a shaky history in trying to restore order in countries embroiled in conflict, with economic sanctions usually doing little to resolve crises. 

The regional grouping has used force to restore order before, most recently in Gambia in 2017 after the ruling president failed to step down after an electoral defeat. The presence of ECOWAS troops alleviated the incident without a clash.

But ECOWAS intervention has a violent past. In Liberia, during a civil war in 1990, troops helped restore order but were also accused of human rights abuses.

Advertisement

Complicating the issue is a coalition of military juntas within West Africa. Four of the ECOWAS member nations are ruled by self-imposed military leaders and are suspended from the body. 

Two of those suspended members, Burkina Faso and Mali, have supported the coup in Niger and may react strongly to military intervention, according to Eizenga.

He said both nations lacked the resources for a full-fledged war, but the political divide points to a growing regional problem.

“Politically speaking, I think we’re seeing a kind of shift in the tides of a resurgence of military government,” he said. “And a very strategic effort on the part of these military juntas to try and put forth an ideological background for military government that has largely been absent from this region in the last 25 years.”

Advertisement

It’s unclear whether a broader conflict involving ECOWAS would create more chaos or promote stability in Niger. 

Stern, of Project Dynamo, said the Biden administration needs to carefully decide whether to back ECOWAS in any decision they make.

“We need to see how it unfolds,” he said, adding Washington needs to weigh “the moral, legal, ethical decision … and that’s always the safety of Americans and the preservation of life. And then, of course, regional stability.”

​ The military coup in Niger is threatening to engulf the region in a broader conflict while endangering a key U.S. security partnership in West Africa, where instability has given rise to growing terrorist threats. The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) will meet Thursday to discuss the situation in Niger and potential action, after… 

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

GLOBAL SUSTAINABILITY SUMMIT RETURNS FOR ITS 5TH EDITION AT THE BRITISH PARLIAMENT – HOUSE OF LORDS, PALACE OF WESTMINSTER

Published

on

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Theme: “People, Planet, and Profit in the Age of AI and Innovation”

London, United Kingdom — The Global Sustainability Summit (GSS) is officially back for its landmark 5th Edition, continuing its legacy as one of the leading international platforms driving sustainable development, climate action, ethical investment, innovation, and global collaboration.

Advertisement

Convened annually at the prestigious British Parliament, House of Lords, Palace of Westminster, by Ambassador Canon Chinenem Otto, the Summit has, over the last four years, successfully fostered international dialogue and partnerships that have contributed to the advancement of global sustainability goals, the establishment of sustainability-focused ministries, departments and policy structures across national and subnational governments, and the attraction of major investors into sustainable development projects, corporations and emerging economies.

This year’s summit, themed “People, Planet, and Profit in the Age of AI and Innovation,” will explore how emerging technologies, responsible leadership, sustainable finance, innovation, and global partnerships can shape a more inclusive, resilient and environmentally conscious future.

The 5th Edition promises to be the most impactful yet, bringing together world leaders, policymakers, diplomats, investors, academics, innovators, climate experts and youth leaders from across the globe to discuss actionable solutions toward achieving a sustainable and equitable future.

Among the distinguished speakers, delegates and honorees already lined up for the Summit are:

• His Excellency Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq — Executive Governor of Kwara State, Nigeria and Chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum

• His Excellency Senator Prince Bassey Otu — Executive Governor of Cross River State, Nigeria

Advertisement

• Ambassador Patricia Espinosa Cantellano — Former Executive Secretary of UN Climate Change (UNFCCC) and Former Foreign Minister of Mexico

• Lord Marvin Rees, Baron Rees of Easton OBE — Member of the House of Lords, United Kingdom

• Hon. Neema K. Lugangira — Secretary-General of Women Political Leaders (WPL), Brussels and Former Member of Parliament

• Her Excellency Dr. Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah — President of the Republic of Namibia

• His Excellency Nangolo Mbumba — Former President of Namibia

Advertisement

• Former President of Tanzania

• Her Excellency Ambassador Professor Olufolake AbdulRazaq — First Lady of Kwara State, Nigeria and Chairperson of Nigeria Governors’ Spouses Forum

• Your Excellency Dr. Dikko Umar Radda, PhD, CON — Executive Governor of Katsina State and Chairman of the Northwest Governors Forum, Nigeria

• Hon. Sam Shafiishuna Nujoma — Governor of Khomas Region, Namibia

Advertisement

• H.E. Mr. Veiccoh Nghiwete — High Commissioner of the Republic of Namibia to the United Kingdom

• Her Excellency Ms. Macenje “Che Che” Mazoka — High Commissioner of Zambia to the United Kingdom

• Ms. Danielle Newman — Partner Lead, ICT, World Economic Forum

• Leanne Elliott Young — Co-founder, Institute of Digital Fashion & CommuneEast

• Ms. Chloe Russell — Producer & Presenter, Art, Science and Nature

Advertisement

• Professor Marie-Claire Cordonier Segger — University of Cambridge & University of Waterloo

• Dr. Alexandra R. Harrington — IUCN World Commission on Environmental Law (WCEL)

• Professor Payam Akhavan — Massey College, University of Toronto

• Mr. Mallai C. E. Sathya — President, Dravida Vetri Kazhagam and International Movement for Tamil Culture Asia

Advertisement

The Summit will feature high-level panel discussions, strategic investment conversations, sustainability awards, policy dialogues, innovation showcases, youth engagement sessions and international networking opportunities focused on climate resilience, ethical financing, food-water-energy sustainability, circular economy, artificial intelligence, diplomacy and sustainable development.

Speaking ahead of the Summit, Convener Ambassador Canon Chinenem Otto noted:

“As the world rapidly evolves through artificial intelligence and technological innovation, we must ensure that sustainability remains people-centered, environmentally responsible and economically inclusive. The Global Sustainability Summit continues to serve as a bridge connecting governments, institutions, innovators and investors to accelerate practical sustainability solutions globally. Our fifth edition is not only a celebration of progress made over the years, but also a renewed call for global collaboration and actionable impact toward achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and Net Zero ambitions.”

The Global Sustainability Summit continues to position itself as a catalyst for transformative partnerships and sustainable global progress, reinforcing the urgent need for collective action toward a more resilient and sustainable future.

More announcements regarding additional speakers, partners and summit activities will be unveiled in the coming weeks.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

US May Completely Cut Income Tax Due to Tariff Revenue

Published

on

President Donald Trump says the United States might one day get rid of federal income tax because of money the government collects from tariffs on imported goods. Tariffs are extra taxes the U.S. puts on products that come from other countries.

What Trump Is Saying

Trump has said that tariff money could become so large that it might allow the government to cut income taxes “almost completely.” He has also talked about possibly phasing out income tax over the next few years if tariff money keeps going up.

How Taxes Work Now

Right now, the federal government gets much more money from income taxes than from tariffs. Income taxes bring in trillions of dollars each year, while tariffs bring in only a small part of that total. Because of this gap, experts say tariffs would need to grow by many times to replace income tax money.

Questions From Experts

Many economists and tax experts doubt that tariffs alone could pay for the whole federal budget. They warn that very high tariffs could make many imported goods more expensive for shoppers in the United States. This could hit lower- and middle‑income families hardest, because they spend a big share of their money on everyday items.

What Congress Must Do

The president can change some tariffs, but only Congress can change or end the federal income tax. That means any real plan to remove income tax would need new laws passed by both the House of Representatives and the Senate. So far, there is no detailed law or full budget plan on this idea.

What It Means Right Now

For now, Trump’s comments are a proposal, not a change in the law. People and businesses still have to pay federal income tax under the current rules. The debate over using tariffs instead of income taxes is likely to continue among lawmakers, experts, and voters.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Epstein Files to Be Declassified After Trump Order

Published

on


Former President Donald Trump has signed an executive order directing federal agencies to declassify all government files related to Jeffrey Epstein, the disgraced financier whose death in 2019 continues to fuel controversy and speculation.

The order, signed Wednesday at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, instructs the FBI, Department of Justice, and intelligence agencies to release documents detailing Epstein’s network, finances, and alleged connections to high-profile figures. Trump described the move as “a step toward transparency and public trust,” promising that no names would be shielded from scrutiny.

“This information belongs to the American people,” Trump said in a televised statement. “For too long, powerful interests have tried to bury the truth. That ends now.”

U.S. intelligence officials confirmed that preparations for the release are already underway. According to sources familiar with the process, the first batch of documents is expected to be made public within the next 30 days, with additional releases scheduled over several months.

Reactions poured in across the political spectrum. Supporters praised the decision as a bold act of accountability, while critics alleged it was politically motivated, timed to draw attention during a volatile election season. Civil rights advocates, meanwhile, emphasized caution, warning that some records could expose private victims or ongoing legal matters.

The Epstein case, which implicated figures in politics, business, and entertainment, remains one of the most talked-about scandals of the past decade. Epstein’s connections to influential individuals—including politicians, royals, and executives—have long sparked speculation about the extent of his operations and who may have been involved.

Advertisement

Former federal prosecutor Lauren Fields said the release could mark a turning point in public discourse surrounding government transparency. “Regardless of political stance, this declassification has the potential to reshape how Americans view power and accountability,” Fields noted.

Officials say redactions may still occur to protect sensitive intelligence or personal information, but the intent is a near-complete disclosure. For years, critics of the government’s handling of Epstein’s case have accused agencies of concealing evidence or shielding elites from exposure. Trump’s order promises to change that narrative.

As anticipation builds, journalists, legal analysts, and online commentators are preparing for what could be one of the most consequential information releases in recent history.

Continue Reading

Trending