Connect with us

World News

What to know about Yemeni rebel group, the Houthis on January 12, 2024 at 2:15 am

Published

on

President Biden announced Thursday that the U.S. and U.K. conducted retaliatory strikes against the Houthi rebels in Yemen as tensions rise in the Red Sea.

The Iran-backed rebel group has stepped up its strikes on ships, which is seen as revenge against Israel for its war against Hamas in Gaza.

The strikes on ships have caused some of the largest shipping companies to suspend travel through the world’s most vital trade route.

The Houthis are believed to be armed by Iran and there are fears their attack could escalate the conflict in Gaza into a wider regional war.

Advertisement

Who are the Houthis?

The Houthis are a Zaydi Shiite movement that has fought Yemen’s Sunni government since 2004. The Houthi movement began in the 1990s as a reaction to rising Saudi financial and religious influence.

The group took over Yemen’s capital in 2014 and seized control over much of the north by 2016.

Officials have repeatedly alleged that Iran and Hezbollah have provided the Houthis with weapons and financial support, but Iranian and Hezbollah officials have denied the claims, according to the Wilson Center.

The group killed former Yemeni president Ali Abdullah Saleh in 2017, who once had a relationship with the Houthis.

Advertisement

The war in Yemen became the world’s worst humanitarian crisis in 2018. More than 22 million people, which is three-quarters of the country’s population, were in desperate need of aid, the United Nations declared.

The Houthis widened the scope of the conflict in early 2022 and now, the group has involved itself in the conflict in Gaza.

Why are the Houthis attacking ships?

Palestinian militant group Hamas attacked Israel in a surprise attack on Oct. 7 that left 1,200 Israelis dead. Israel, which has vowed retaliation for the attack and the group taking more than 200 hostages, has killed more than 22,000 people in what many have declared a humanitarian crisis.

The Houthis have called for the death of Israel, the Wilson Center reported. The group has said it is striking in the Red Sea to prevent Israeli ships from reaching ports of Palestine until the conflict stops.

Advertisement

The Houthis have attacked commercial ships at least 26 times since Nov. 19 in a campaign they say targets Israel-based boats or boats heading to Israel. The Houthis say they are attempting to protect Palestinians as Israel continues its destructive and deadly war in Gaza, The Hill previously reported.

Earlier this year, shipping giant Maersk paused its operations through the Red Sea after the Houthis attacked one of its ships. The U.S., which was patrolling the Red Sea to protect commercial boats, responded to a distress call and sunk three Houthi boats.

Maersk joined several of the world’s largest shipping and oil companies, including BP, in stopping travel through the corridor, which is expected to impact the global economy, including shipping costs as boats now must reroute around Africa.

On Thursday, President Biden announced that the U.S. joined with the U.K. to strike the Houthis as a “direct response to unprecedented Houthi attacks,” as U.S. personnel, civilians and trade have been threatened in the region.

Advertisement

“I will not hesitate to direct further measures to protect our people and the free flow of international commerce as necessary,” Biden said.

According to The Associated Press, the U.S. and U.K. bombed more than a dozen sites in Yemen used by the Houthis.

It’s the first time the U.S. has carried out a direct military offensive against the Houthis since the group began targeting ships in the corridor.

The strike is likely to provoke both the Houthis and Iran, The Hill reported, and threatens to spiral into a wider war.

Advertisement

​ President Biden announced Thursday that the U.S. and U.K. conducted retaliatory strikes against the Houthi rebels in Yemen as tensions rise in the Red Sea. The Iran-backed rebel group has stepped up its strikes on ships, which is seen as revenge against Israel for its war against Hamas in Gaza. The strikes on ships have… 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

GLOBAL SUSTAINABILITY SUMMIT RETURNS FOR ITS 5TH EDITION AT THE BRITISH PARLIAMENT – HOUSE OF LORDS, PALACE OF WESTMINSTER

Published

on

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Theme: “People, Planet, and Profit in the Age of AI and Innovation”

London, United Kingdom — The Global Sustainability Summit (GSS) is officially back for its landmark 5th Edition, continuing its legacy as one of the leading international platforms driving sustainable development, climate action, ethical investment, innovation, and global collaboration.

Advertisement

Convened annually at the prestigious British Parliament, House of Lords, Palace of Westminster, by Ambassador Canon Chinenem Otto, the Summit has, over the last four years, successfully fostered international dialogue and partnerships that have contributed to the advancement of global sustainability goals, the establishment of sustainability-focused ministries, departments and policy structures across national and subnational governments, and the attraction of major investors into sustainable development projects, corporations and emerging economies.

This year’s summit, themed “People, Planet, and Profit in the Age of AI and Innovation,” will explore how emerging technologies, responsible leadership, sustainable finance, innovation, and global partnerships can shape a more inclusive, resilient and environmentally conscious future.

The 5th Edition promises to be the most impactful yet, bringing together world leaders, policymakers, diplomats, investors, academics, innovators, climate experts and youth leaders from across the globe to discuss actionable solutions toward achieving a sustainable and equitable future.

Among the distinguished speakers, delegates and honorees already lined up for the Summit are:

• His Excellency Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq — Executive Governor of Kwara State, Nigeria and Chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum

• His Excellency Senator Prince Bassey Otu — Executive Governor of Cross River State, Nigeria

Advertisement

• Ambassador Patricia Espinosa Cantellano — Former Executive Secretary of UN Climate Change (UNFCCC) and Former Foreign Minister of Mexico

• Lord Marvin Rees, Baron Rees of Easton OBE — Member of the House of Lords, United Kingdom

• Hon. Neema K. Lugangira — Secretary-General of Women Political Leaders (WPL), Brussels and Former Member of Parliament

• Her Excellency Dr. Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah — President of the Republic of Namibia

• His Excellency Nangolo Mbumba — Former President of Namibia

Advertisement

• Former President of Tanzania

• Her Excellency Ambassador Professor Olufolake AbdulRazaq — First Lady of Kwara State, Nigeria and Chairperson of Nigeria Governors’ Spouses Forum

• Your Excellency Dr. Dikko Umar Radda, PhD, CON — Executive Governor of Katsina State and Chairman of the Northwest Governors Forum, Nigeria

• Hon. Sam Shafiishuna Nujoma — Governor of Khomas Region, Namibia

Advertisement

• H.E. Mr. Veiccoh Nghiwete — High Commissioner of the Republic of Namibia to the United Kingdom

• Her Excellency Ms. Macenje “Che Che” Mazoka — High Commissioner of Zambia to the United Kingdom

• Ms. Danielle Newman — Partner Lead, ICT, World Economic Forum

• Leanne Elliott Young — Co-founder, Institute of Digital Fashion & CommuneEast

• Ms. Chloe Russell — Producer & Presenter, Art, Science and Nature

Advertisement

• Professor Marie-Claire Cordonier Segger — University of Cambridge & University of Waterloo

• Dr. Alexandra R. Harrington — IUCN World Commission on Environmental Law (WCEL)

• Professor Payam Akhavan — Massey College, University of Toronto

• Mr. Mallai C. E. Sathya — President, Dravida Vetri Kazhagam and International Movement for Tamil Culture Asia

Advertisement

The Summit will feature high-level panel discussions, strategic investment conversations, sustainability awards, policy dialogues, innovation showcases, youth engagement sessions and international networking opportunities focused on climate resilience, ethical financing, food-water-energy sustainability, circular economy, artificial intelligence, diplomacy and sustainable development.

Speaking ahead of the Summit, Convener Ambassador Canon Chinenem Otto noted:

“As the world rapidly evolves through artificial intelligence and technological innovation, we must ensure that sustainability remains people-centered, environmentally responsible and economically inclusive. The Global Sustainability Summit continues to serve as a bridge connecting governments, institutions, innovators and investors to accelerate practical sustainability solutions globally. Our fifth edition is not only a celebration of progress made over the years, but also a renewed call for global collaboration and actionable impact toward achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and Net Zero ambitions.”

The Global Sustainability Summit continues to position itself as a catalyst for transformative partnerships and sustainable global progress, reinforcing the urgent need for collective action toward a more resilient and sustainable future.

More announcements regarding additional speakers, partners and summit activities will be unveiled in the coming weeks.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

US May Completely Cut Income Tax Due to Tariff Revenue

Published

on

President Donald Trump says the United States might one day get rid of federal income tax because of money the government collects from tariffs on imported goods. Tariffs are extra taxes the U.S. puts on products that come from other countries.

What Trump Is Saying

Trump has said that tariff money could become so large that it might allow the government to cut income taxes “almost completely.” He has also talked about possibly phasing out income tax over the next few years if tariff money keeps going up.

How Taxes Work Now

Right now, the federal government gets much more money from income taxes than from tariffs. Income taxes bring in trillions of dollars each year, while tariffs bring in only a small part of that total. Because of this gap, experts say tariffs would need to grow by many times to replace income tax money.

Questions From Experts

Many economists and tax experts doubt that tariffs alone could pay for the whole federal budget. They warn that very high tariffs could make many imported goods more expensive for shoppers in the United States. This could hit lower- and middle‑income families hardest, because they spend a big share of their money on everyday items.

What Congress Must Do

The president can change some tariffs, but only Congress can change or end the federal income tax. That means any real plan to remove income tax would need new laws passed by both the House of Representatives and the Senate. So far, there is no detailed law or full budget plan on this idea.

What It Means Right Now

For now, Trump’s comments are a proposal, not a change in the law. People and businesses still have to pay federal income tax under the current rules. The debate over using tariffs instead of income taxes is likely to continue among lawmakers, experts, and voters.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Epstein Files to Be Declassified After Trump Order

Published

on


Former President Donald Trump has signed an executive order directing federal agencies to declassify all government files related to Jeffrey Epstein, the disgraced financier whose death in 2019 continues to fuel controversy and speculation.

The order, signed Wednesday at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, instructs the FBI, Department of Justice, and intelligence agencies to release documents detailing Epstein’s network, finances, and alleged connections to high-profile figures. Trump described the move as “a step toward transparency and public trust,” promising that no names would be shielded from scrutiny.

“This information belongs to the American people,” Trump said in a televised statement. “For too long, powerful interests have tried to bury the truth. That ends now.”

U.S. intelligence officials confirmed that preparations for the release are already underway. According to sources familiar with the process, the first batch of documents is expected to be made public within the next 30 days, with additional releases scheduled over several months.

Reactions poured in across the political spectrum. Supporters praised the decision as a bold act of accountability, while critics alleged it was politically motivated, timed to draw attention during a volatile election season. Civil rights advocates, meanwhile, emphasized caution, warning that some records could expose private victims or ongoing legal matters.

The Epstein case, which implicated figures in politics, business, and entertainment, remains one of the most talked-about scandals of the past decade. Epstein’s connections to influential individuals—including politicians, royals, and executives—have long sparked speculation about the extent of his operations and who may have been involved.

Advertisement

Former federal prosecutor Lauren Fields said the release could mark a turning point in public discourse surrounding government transparency. “Regardless of political stance, this declassification has the potential to reshape how Americans view power and accountability,” Fields noted.

Officials say redactions may still occur to protect sensitive intelligence or personal information, but the intent is a near-complete disclosure. For years, critics of the government’s handling of Epstein’s case have accused agencies of concealing evidence or shielding elites from exposure. Trump’s order promises to change that narrative.

As anticipation builds, journalists, legal analysts, and online commentators are preparing for what could be one of the most consequential information releases in recent history.

Continue Reading

Trending