Connect with us

World News

As Congress kicks Ukraine aid to 2024, supplies and hope dwindle   on December 20, 2023 at 10:00 am

Published

on

With Congress unlikely to pass a new Ukraine aid package before the new year, the Ukrainians are bracing for a tough winter as military operations slow down, troops are forced to preserve ammunition and Russian attacks continue to hammer energy infrastructure across the country.

The breakdown of U.S. and European support also threatens to derail Ukraine’s economy and give Russian forces an upper hand on the battlefield.

Maksym Skrypchenko, the president of the Transatlantic Dialogue Center, a Ukrainian think tank that advises the government in Kyiv, said Ukraine can hold together for only a short time before confronting a serious shortage of supplies.

“In a month or two, we will be not able to defend ourselves against Russian missiles. We will not be able to conduct huge military operations,” he said. “More than one month is a real problem.”

Advertisement

Skrypchenko said it will be a “disaster” if there is no support at all next year. He remains optimistic Congress will reach a deal, though he concedes time is not on his side.

“With every week, the chances of this happening are decreasing,” he said. “It’s going to be more difficult for those Ukraine-friendly GOP senators and members of the House to vote for Ukraine support because it’s completely linked with internal debates in the U.S. And it’s also painful for us, because we also understand the logic of many Republicans, and we don’t want to be involved in the internal politics.”

President Biden wants $61 billion to keep Ukraine in the fight, but that money is being held up as Congress debates border security. Republicans have tied migration reform to Ukraine aid, but lawmakers are at an impasse on how to deal with both issues.

The final tranche of U.S. aid will run out on Dec. 30, when the last of the money goes to replace Defense Department stocks that have been sent to Ukraine, Pentagon Comptroller Michael McCord wrote in a letter to congressional leaders this month.

Advertisement

“Absent congressional action to approve the supplemental, the [Pentagon] anticipates only one additional drawdown package will be available,” McCord wrote, urging Congress to support Ukraine “without delay.”

Ukrainians began saving ammunition over the fall, aware Congress was not likely to pass another aid package anytime soon, according to Skrypchenko and public reports.

But those reserves can only last so long, and troops are already struggling with a shortage of artillery rounds, which is expected to turn more severe after weeks without foreign assistance.  

Air defense munitions may also run down after a couple of months, and a shortage of those critical defenses would allow Russia to pound Ukrainian infrastructure at an even faster pace.  

Advertisement

Ukrainian Ambassador to the U.S. Oksana Markarova said Ukraine has thwarted Russian bombs on energy infrastructure and prevented widespread blackouts across the country because of U.S. assistance.

“Time is of the essence,” she told CBS this week of another U.S. package. “We really are counting on our friends and partners here. I believe in Christmas miracles. I really hope that this Christmas will show that all civilized people, all people who believe in freedom, that we can stay the course.”


Ukraine’s US ambassador breaks convention during desperate times

It’s not just the U.S. where Ukraine support has faced resistance. Last week, Hungary blocked a $52 billion European Union package for Ukraine.

Advertisement

John Herbst, the senior director of the Atlantic Council’s Eurasia Center, said Ukraine is in a “pinch” but described it as a manageable problem for the next few months. Still, he said it will grow worse over time and that “a lot depends on Europe.”

“If Europe passes the aid package … a truly dangerous scenario is pushed back by several months, if not longer,” said Herbst, a former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine.

As for the U.S., Herbst is mildly confident Congress can pass something this winter without too much damage to Ukraine.

“My view is if we can get this done by March, it’s unfortunate for Ukrainian casualties,” he continued, “but not irreparable damage.”

Advertisement

While there is some $4 billion left for Ukraine from the approved money last year, the Pentagon is out of funds to replenish stocks it transfers to the nation. Using remaining funds could leave holes in U.S. equipment stockpiles and impact military readiness.  

White House national security spokesperson John Kirby noted Ukraine has fended off Russian assaults this year because they’ve been well-armed and well-supplied.

“Ukraine still needs our help,” Kirby told reporters Monday. “And it’s well past time for Congress to act.”

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky traveled to the U.S. last week to shore up support in Congress, to little avail.

Advertisement

But he also met with defense contractors as Ukraine seeks to ramp up internal production to become more independent and less reliant on Western aid. Zelensky said his country is on track to produce a million rounds of artillery shells next year — but cautioned they are still behind on production and manufacturing infrastructure.

“Unfortunately, it’s still a challenge to produce shells … we are still left with old-time Soviet red tape,” Zelensky said Tuesday during an end-of-year press conference. “We will do that, but it will take time.”

The Institute for the Study of War (ISW) warned in a report last month that anti-armor weapons, air defense munitions and artillery rounds remain “existential requirements” for Ukraine.  

ISW analysts said the war has reached a general stalemate across the 600-mile front because neither side has committed enough resources yet. But they said Russia could win the war if Western support continues to dwindle.  

Advertisement

“Ukraine’s ability to prevent Russian forces from conducting large-scale mechanized maneuver warfare, most crucially, remains absolutely dependent on the continued provision of Western aid on at least the current scale,” ISW researchers wrote in the report.  

If Ukraine were to run low on critical air defense munitions, Russian bomber planes could begin a major campaign to hammer Ukrainian cities and military bases, according to war analysts. So far, Western surface-to-air missiles have prevented that from happening.

Western-supplied artillery shells, along with anti-armor weapons such as Javelin launchers, have also kept Ukraine in the fight and enabled it to hold the line against Russian onslaughts. But a shortage of those would likely open up holes in Ukraine’s defenses.  

Ukraine will also struggle with a crippled economy if U.S. assistance falls off, as the ramifications of escalating Russian attacks ripple across the country, according to analysts.

Advertisement

The $113 billion in aid passed by the U.S. last year covered key financial funding for Ukraine, including paying the salaries of government workers and helping to keep energy flowing to schools and hospitals.

Herbst, from the Atlantic Council, said the economic aid is just as vital to keep Ukraine’s government functioning through the war.

“The economic aid is essentially making sure the Ukrainian government can function,” he said. “Last year they lost 33 percent of their economy during the invasion. So it’s almost as important as weapons.”

Herbst said Ukraine was facing “the most dangerous period” of the war but was confident that if Ukraine gets everything it needs from a fully supportive U.S. government, they can win.

Advertisement

“As long as American aid is not diminished, Ukraine will eventually win the war,” he said. “But if American aid were to disappear, the prospect of Ukraine losing is very real.”

​ With Congress unlikely to pass a new Ukraine aid package before the new year, the Ukrainians are bracing for a tough winter as military operations slow down, troops are forced to preserve ammunition and Russian attacks continue to hammer energy infrastructure across the country. The breakdown of U.S. and European support also threatens to derail Ukraine’s economy and give Russian… 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

GLOBAL SUSTAINABILITY SUMMIT RETURNS FOR ITS 5TH EDITION AT THE BRITISH PARLIAMENT – HOUSE OF LORDS, PALACE OF WESTMINSTER

Published

on

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Theme: “People, Planet, and Profit in the Age of AI and Innovation”

London, United Kingdom — The Global Sustainability Summit (GSS) is officially back for its landmark 5th Edition, continuing its legacy as one of the leading international platforms driving sustainable development, climate action, ethical investment, innovation, and global collaboration.

Advertisement

Convened annually at the prestigious British Parliament, House of Lords, Palace of Westminster, by Ambassador Canon Chinenem Otto, the Summit has, over the last four years, successfully fostered international dialogue and partnerships that have contributed to the advancement of global sustainability goals, the establishment of sustainability-focused ministries, departments and policy structures across national and subnational governments, and the attraction of major investors into sustainable development projects, corporations and emerging economies.

This year’s summit, themed “People, Planet, and Profit in the Age of AI and Innovation,” will explore how emerging technologies, responsible leadership, sustainable finance, innovation, and global partnerships can shape a more inclusive, resilient and environmentally conscious future.

The 5th Edition promises to be the most impactful yet, bringing together world leaders, policymakers, diplomats, investors, academics, innovators, climate experts and youth leaders from across the globe to discuss actionable solutions toward achieving a sustainable and equitable future.

Among the distinguished speakers, delegates and honorees already lined up for the Summit are:

• His Excellency Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq — Executive Governor of Kwara State, Nigeria and Chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum

• His Excellency Senator Prince Bassey Otu — Executive Governor of Cross River State, Nigeria

Advertisement

• Ambassador Patricia Espinosa Cantellano — Former Executive Secretary of UN Climate Change (UNFCCC) and Former Foreign Minister of Mexico

• Lord Marvin Rees, Baron Rees of Easton OBE — Member of the House of Lords, United Kingdom

• Hon. Neema K. Lugangira — Secretary-General of Women Political Leaders (WPL), Brussels and Former Member of Parliament

• Her Excellency Dr. Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah — President of the Republic of Namibia

• His Excellency Nangolo Mbumba — Former President of Namibia

Advertisement

• Former President of Tanzania

• Her Excellency Ambassador Professor Olufolake AbdulRazaq — First Lady of Kwara State, Nigeria and Chairperson of Nigeria Governors’ Spouses Forum

• Your Excellency Dr. Dikko Umar Radda, PhD, CON — Executive Governor of Katsina State and Chairman of the Northwest Governors Forum, Nigeria

• Hon. Sam Shafiishuna Nujoma — Governor of Khomas Region, Namibia

Advertisement

• H.E. Mr. Veiccoh Nghiwete — High Commissioner of the Republic of Namibia to the United Kingdom

• Her Excellency Ms. Macenje “Che Che” Mazoka — High Commissioner of Zambia to the United Kingdom

• Ms. Danielle Newman — Partner Lead, ICT, World Economic Forum

• Leanne Elliott Young — Co-founder, Institute of Digital Fashion & CommuneEast

• Ms. Chloe Russell — Producer & Presenter, Art, Science and Nature

Advertisement

• Professor Marie-Claire Cordonier Segger — University of Cambridge & University of Waterloo

• Dr. Alexandra R. Harrington — IUCN World Commission on Environmental Law (WCEL)

• Professor Payam Akhavan — Massey College, University of Toronto

• Mr. Mallai C. E. Sathya — President, Dravida Vetri Kazhagam and International Movement for Tamil Culture Asia

Advertisement

The Summit will feature high-level panel discussions, strategic investment conversations, sustainability awards, policy dialogues, innovation showcases, youth engagement sessions and international networking opportunities focused on climate resilience, ethical financing, food-water-energy sustainability, circular economy, artificial intelligence, diplomacy and sustainable development.

Speaking ahead of the Summit, Convener Ambassador Canon Chinenem Otto noted:

“As the world rapidly evolves through artificial intelligence and technological innovation, we must ensure that sustainability remains people-centered, environmentally responsible and economically inclusive. The Global Sustainability Summit continues to serve as a bridge connecting governments, institutions, innovators and investors to accelerate practical sustainability solutions globally. Our fifth edition is not only a celebration of progress made over the years, but also a renewed call for global collaboration and actionable impact toward achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and Net Zero ambitions.”

The Global Sustainability Summit continues to position itself as a catalyst for transformative partnerships and sustainable global progress, reinforcing the urgent need for collective action toward a more resilient and sustainable future.

More announcements regarding additional speakers, partners and summit activities will be unveiled in the coming weeks.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

US May Completely Cut Income Tax Due to Tariff Revenue

Published

on

President Donald Trump says the United States might one day get rid of federal income tax because of money the government collects from tariffs on imported goods. Tariffs are extra taxes the U.S. puts on products that come from other countries.

What Trump Is Saying

Trump has said that tariff money could become so large that it might allow the government to cut income taxes “almost completely.” He has also talked about possibly phasing out income tax over the next few years if tariff money keeps going up.

How Taxes Work Now

Right now, the federal government gets much more money from income taxes than from tariffs. Income taxes bring in trillions of dollars each year, while tariffs bring in only a small part of that total. Because of this gap, experts say tariffs would need to grow by many times to replace income tax money.

Questions From Experts

Many economists and tax experts doubt that tariffs alone could pay for the whole federal budget. They warn that very high tariffs could make many imported goods more expensive for shoppers in the United States. This could hit lower- and middle‑income families hardest, because they spend a big share of their money on everyday items.

What Congress Must Do

The president can change some tariffs, but only Congress can change or end the federal income tax. That means any real plan to remove income tax would need new laws passed by both the House of Representatives and the Senate. So far, there is no detailed law or full budget plan on this idea.

What It Means Right Now

For now, Trump’s comments are a proposal, not a change in the law. People and businesses still have to pay federal income tax under the current rules. The debate over using tariffs instead of income taxes is likely to continue among lawmakers, experts, and voters.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Epstein Files to Be Declassified After Trump Order

Published

on


Former President Donald Trump has signed an executive order directing federal agencies to declassify all government files related to Jeffrey Epstein, the disgraced financier whose death in 2019 continues to fuel controversy and speculation.

The order, signed Wednesday at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, instructs the FBI, Department of Justice, and intelligence agencies to release documents detailing Epstein’s network, finances, and alleged connections to high-profile figures. Trump described the move as “a step toward transparency and public trust,” promising that no names would be shielded from scrutiny.

“This information belongs to the American people,” Trump said in a televised statement. “For too long, powerful interests have tried to bury the truth. That ends now.”

U.S. intelligence officials confirmed that preparations for the release are already underway. According to sources familiar with the process, the first batch of documents is expected to be made public within the next 30 days, with additional releases scheduled over several months.

Reactions poured in across the political spectrum. Supporters praised the decision as a bold act of accountability, while critics alleged it was politically motivated, timed to draw attention during a volatile election season. Civil rights advocates, meanwhile, emphasized caution, warning that some records could expose private victims or ongoing legal matters.

The Epstein case, which implicated figures in politics, business, and entertainment, remains one of the most talked-about scandals of the past decade. Epstein’s connections to influential individuals—including politicians, royals, and executives—have long sparked speculation about the extent of his operations and who may have been involved.

Advertisement

Former federal prosecutor Lauren Fields said the release could mark a turning point in public discourse surrounding government transparency. “Regardless of political stance, this declassification has the potential to reshape how Americans view power and accountability,” Fields noted.

Officials say redactions may still occur to protect sensitive intelligence or personal information, but the intent is a near-complete disclosure. For years, critics of the government’s handling of Epstein’s case have accused agencies of concealing evidence or shielding elites from exposure. Trump’s order promises to change that narrative.

As anticipation builds, journalists, legal analysts, and online commentators are preparing for what could be one of the most consequential information releases in recent history.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe for the updates!