Connect with us

World News

a16z-backed Rewind launches an iPhone app to help you remember everything on July 28, 2023 at 1:09 pm

Published

on

Rewind, a personal data recording startup backed by Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), has launched an iPhone app that privately records your activity on Safari so you can ask questions based on your web browsing history later. By default, the app doesn’t record anything when you are browsing in incognito mode.

Last year, the company generated some buzz when it launched a Mac app that records everything you do during the day on the system in a compressed video format — the app only works on Macs with Apple Silicon. Later, users can ask very specific questions, such as who said something in particular during a Zoom meeting. Rewind can also be used to find a website you visited on Chrome based on the content of the page. The startup said that it processes everything locally on the system.

Now, Rewind is going down a similar path with its iOS app. However, it currently records activity just on Safari. You can also go to settings and ask the app to not record anything on specific pages. The company said that if you want to add stuff from other apps, you have to take a screenshot, as Rewind imports screenshots automatically.

Rewind uses text recognition so you can search for specific terms to find screenshots or whatever you browsed on Safari. The app also has a GPT-4 integration, so you can ask questions like ā€œWho mentioned Twitter last week?ā€ or remind yourself about how you know someone.

The app uses the same compression algorithm that it uses on the Mac to compress raw video recording data up to 3,750x. That means the data takes up little space on the phone.

Advertisement

When a user asked about how Rewind, an app that constantly records activity, eats up the battery, the company’s co-founder Dan Siroker posted a screenshot showing the app had consumed 4% of battery in the last 24 hours on his device. However, the app might behave differently for people using Safari more on older iPhones.

Rewind told TechCrunch that it only captures info that changes from frame to frame. Plus, it has built algorithms for Apple devices to reduce power usage.

The company said that all user data is private and is not sold or used to train AI models. In a tweet, Siroker emphasized that all recordings are stored on the device and no one else has access to them. Despite these claims, a lot depends on how the startup proves itself by maintaining user privacy at the highest level. Especially, when it is asking users to allow the app to record their activity.

Rewind has raised $10 million at a $75 million valuation from investors like a16z and First Round Capital. Initially, the company’s Mac app was free, but now it has capped free usage to 50 Rewinds and introduced paid plans for more access. The company counts one session of traversing through history or searching as one ā€œRewind.ā€ One question asked through GPT-4 also counts as a ā€œRewind.ā€ The startup said that at the moment it wants to keep the iOS app free ā€œfor as long as possible.ā€

​ Rewind, a personal data recording startup backed by Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), has launched an iPhone app that privately records your activity on Safari so you can ask questions based on your web browsing history later. By default, the app doesn’t record anything when you are browsing in incognito mode. Last year, the company generated someĀ 

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

US May Completely Cut Income Tax Due to Tariff Revenue

Published

on

President Donald Trump says the United States might one day get rid of federal income tax because of money the government collects from tariffs on imported goods. Tariffs are extra taxes the U.S. puts on products that come from other countries.

What Trump Is Saying

Trump has said that tariff money could become so large that it might allow the government to cut income taxes ā€œalmost completely.ā€ He has also talked about possibly phasing out income tax over the next few years if tariff money keeps going up.

How Taxes Work Now

Right now, the federal government gets much more money from income taxes than from tariffs. Income taxes bring in trillions of dollars each year, while tariffs bring in only a small part of that total. Because of this gap, experts say tariffs would need to grow by many times to replace income tax money.

Questions From Experts

Many economists and tax experts doubt that tariffs alone could pay for the whole federal budget. They warn that very high tariffs could make many imported goods more expensive for shoppers in the United States. This could hit lower- and middle‑income families hardest, because they spend a big share of their money on everyday items.

What Congress Must Do

The president can change some tariffs, but only Congress can change or end the federal income tax. That means any real plan to remove income tax would need new laws passed by both the House of Representatives and the Senate. So far, there is no detailed law or full budget plan on this idea.

What It Means Right Now

For now, Trump’s comments are a proposal, not a change in the law. People and businesses still have to pay federal income tax under the current rules. The debate over using tariffs instead of income taxes is likely to continue among lawmakers, experts, and voters.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Epstein Files to Be Declassified After Trump Order

Published

on


Former President Donald Trump has signed an executive order directing federal agencies to declassify all government files related to Jeffrey Epstein, the disgraced financier whose death in 2019 continues to fuel controversy and speculation.

The order, signed Wednesday at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, instructs the FBI, Department of Justice, and intelligence agencies to release documents detailing Epstein’s network, finances, and alleged connections to high-profile figures. Trump described the move as ā€œa step toward transparency and public trust,ā€ promising that no names would be shielded from scrutiny.

ā€œThis information belongs to the American people,ā€ Trump said in a televised statement. ā€œFor too long, powerful interests have tried to bury the truth. That ends now.ā€

U.S. intelligence officials confirmed that preparations for the release are already underway. According to sources familiar with the process, the first batch of documents is expected to be made public within the next 30 days, with additional releases scheduled over several months.

Reactions poured in across the political spectrum. Supporters praised the decision as a bold act of accountability, while critics alleged it was politically motivated, timed to draw attention during a volatile election season. Civil rights advocates, meanwhile, emphasized caution, warning that some records could expose private victims or ongoing legal matters.

The Epstein case, which implicated figures in politics, business, and entertainment, remains one of the most talked-about scandals of the past decade. Epstein’s connections to influential individuals—including politicians, royals, and executives—have long sparked speculation about the extent of his operations and who may have been involved.

Advertisement

Former federal prosecutor Lauren Fields said the release could mark a turning point in public discourse surrounding government transparency. ā€œRegardless of political stance, this declassification has the potential to reshape how Americans view power and accountability,ā€ Fields noted.

Officials say redactions may still occur to protect sensitive intelligence or personal information, but the intent is a near-complete disclosure. For years, critics of the government’s handling of Epstein’s case have accused agencies of concealing evidence or shielding elites from exposure. Trump’s order promises to change that narrative.

As anticipation builds, journalists, legal analysts, and online commentators are preparing for what could be one of the most consequential information releases in recent history.

Continue Reading

Politics

Netanyahu’s UN Speech Triggers Diplomatic Walkouts and Mass Protests

Published

on

What Happened at the United Nations

On Friday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu addressed the United Nations General Assembly in New York City, defending Israel’s ongoing military operations in Gaza. As he spoke, more than 100 delegates from over 50 countries stood up and left the chamber—a rare and significant diplomatic walkout. Outside the UN, thousands of protesters gathered to voice opposition to Netanyahu’s policies and call for accountability, including some who labeled him a war criminal. The protest included activists from Palestinian and Jewish groups, along with international allies.

Why Did Delegates and Protesters Walk Out?

The walkouts and protests were a response to Israel’s continued offensive in Gaza, which has resulted in widespread destruction and a significant humanitarian crisis. Many countries and individuals have accused Israel of excessive use of force, and some international prosecutors have suggested Netanyahu should face investigation by the International Criminal Court for war crimes, including claims that starvation was used as a weapon against civilians. At the same time, a record number of nations—over 150—recently recognized the State of Palestine, leaving the United States as the only permanent UN Security Council member not to join them.

International Reaction and Significance

The diplomatic walkouts and street protests demonstrate increasing global concern over the situation in Gaza and growing support for Palestinian statehood. Several world leaders, including Colombia’s President Gustavo Petro, showed visible solidarity with protesters. Petro called for international intervention and, controversially, for US troops not to follow orders he viewed as supporting ongoing conflict. The US later revoked Petro’s visa over his role in the protests, which he argued was evidence of a declining respect for international law.

BILATERAL MEETING WITH THE PRIME MINISTER OF ISRAEL Photo credit: Matty STERN/U.S. Embassy Jerusalem

Why Is This News Important?

The Gaza conflict is one of the world’s most contentious and closely-watched issues. It has drawn strong feelings and differing opinions from governments, activists, and ordinary people worldwide. The United Nations, as an international organization focused on peace and human rights, is a key arena for these debates. The events surrounding Netanyahu’s speech show that many nations and voices are urging new action—from recognition of Palestinian rights to calls for sanctions against Israel—while discussion and disagreement over the best path forward continue.

This episode at the UN highlights how international diplomacy, public protests, and official policy are all intersecting in real time as the search for solutions to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict remains urgent and unresolved.

Continue Reading

Trending