World News
China’s Xi set to snub G20, dashing chance of Biden meeting: reports on August 31, 2023 at 11:21 pm

Chinese President Xi Jinping will likely skip next week’s summit of G20 leaders in India, according to multiple reports, a development that would sink the chances of him meeting with President Biden.
Biden’s trip to New Delhi, announced last week, had been seen as another opportunity to increase collaboration betweenĀ Indo-Pacific allies, which could act as a counterbalance to China.
The president said he is still hopeful Xi will attend the summit.
āThe answer is: I hope he attends,ā Biden said Thursday.
White House national security adviserĀ Jake SullivanĀ confirmed last Tuesday that Biden would attend the summit, set for Sept. 7-10, and attend various meetings with leaders, but did not disclose which ones.
White House press secretaryĀ Karine Jean-PierreĀ said Biden and the other world leaders would discuss a wide range of topics, including climate change, the global economy, the war in Ukraine and poverty.
Top Stories from The Hill
First Proud Boy sentenced to 17 years in prison after seditious conspiracy conviction
Trump in deposition says he averted ānuclear holocaustā
Ukraine breaks through major Russian defense lines as counteroffensive picks up pace
Clarence Thomas discloses multiple trips accepted from GOP megadonor Harlan Crow
Biden and Xi last met at last year’s G20 summit in Bali, Indonesia, and a potential meeting between the two leaders this year was seen as a chance to mend a deteriorating relationship caused by trade and geopolitical tensions.
Other top officials have been traveling to China in a bid to help alleviate tensions.
U.S. Secretary of CommerceĀ Gina RaimondoĀ recently met with her Chinese counterpart, the Peopleās Republic of China Minister of Commerce Wang Wentao, to discuss export controls, which have frustrated Chinese officials.
Secretary of State Antony Blinken traveled in June to China, where he met with two top foreign policy officials and Xi himself.
Tense relations with India could fuel Xi Jinping’s decision
Chinese President Xi Jinping gestures as he meets with U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken in the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China, Monday, June 19, 2023. (Leah Millis/Pool Photo via AP)
Xi’s decision could be characterized as a shot at India and Prime Minister Narendra Modi, experts told Reuters.
India and China have been involved in a three-year standoff over the two countries’ shared border, and tensions only escalated this week after Malaysia joined India in protesting a new Chinese map that claims Indiaās territory and Malaysiaās maritime areas near Borneo.
However, just last week, Xi and Modi agreed to step up deescalation efforts at the disputed border, bringing home thousands of troops deployed there in the process, according to an Indian Foreign Ministry official.
India boasts one of the fastest growing economies in the world at a time when China’s has slowed.
Biden’s next opportunity to engage with Modi
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Biden are seen during an arrival ceremony on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, D.C., on Thursday, June 22, 2023. (Greg Nash)
Biden’s trip to India will also be his latest effort to engage with Modi, following an official state visit at the White House in June. The visit was controversial because of Modi’s human rights record.
A handful of Democrats boycotted Modi’s address to a joint session of Congress and pushed Biden to make human rights a focus during their meetings. But Modi pushed back on those criticisms during a press conference with Biden.
Biden reportedly discussed democratic values with Modi during their meeting in the Oval Office, and the president stressed that the United States’s relationship with India is āmore dynamic than at any time in history.ā
āĀ Chinese President Xi Jinping will likely skip next week’s summit of G20 leaders in India, according to multiple reports, a development that would sink the chances of him meeting with President Biden. Biden’s trip to New Delhi, announced last week, had been seen as another opportunity to increase collaboration betweenĀ Indo-Pacific allies, which could act as…Ā
News
US May Completely Cut Income Tax Due to Tariff Revenue

President Donald Trump says the United States might one day get rid of federal income tax because of money the government collects from tariffs on imported goods. Tariffs are extra taxes the U.S. puts on products that come from other countries.

What Trump Is Saying
Trump has said that tariff money could become so large that it might allow the government to cut income taxes āalmost completely.ā He has also talked about possibly phasing out income tax over the next few years if tariff money keeps going up.
How Taxes Work Now
Right now, the federal government gets much more money from income taxes than from tariffs. Income taxes bring in trillions of dollars each year, while tariffs bring in only a small part of that total. Because of this gap, experts say tariffs would need to grow by many times to replace income tax money.
Questions From Experts
Many economists and tax experts doubt that tariffs alone could pay for the whole federal budget. They warn that very high tariffs could make many imported goods more expensive for shoppers in the United States. This could hit lower- and middleāincome families hardest, because they spend a big share of their money on everyday items.
What Congress Must Do
The president can change some tariffs, but only Congress can change or end the federal income tax. That means any real plan to remove income tax would need new laws passed by both the House of Representatives and the Senate. So far, there is no detailed law or full budget plan on this idea.

What It Means Right Now
For now, Trumpās comments are a proposal, not a change in the law. People and businesses still have to pay federal income tax under the current rules. The debate over using tariffs instead of income taxes is likely to continue among lawmakers, experts, and voters.
News
Epstein Files to Be Declassified After Trump Order

Former President Donald Trump has signed an executive order directing federal agencies to declassify all government files related to Jeffrey Epstein, the disgraced financier whose death in 2019 continues to fuel controversy and speculation.
The order, signed Wednesday at Trumpās Mar-a-Lago estate, instructs the FBI, Department of Justice, and intelligence agencies to release documents detailing Epsteinās network, finances, and alleged connections to high-profile figures. Trump described the move as āa step toward transparency and public trust,ā promising that no names would be shielded from scrutiny.
āThis information belongs to the American people,ā Trump said in a televised statement. āFor too long, powerful interests have tried to bury the truth. That ends now.ā
U.S. intelligence officials confirmed that preparations for the release are already underway. According to sources familiar with the process, the first batch of documents is expected to be made public within the next 30 days, with additional releases scheduled over several months.
Reactions poured in across the political spectrum. Supporters praised the decision as a bold act of accountability, while critics alleged it was politically motivated, timed to draw attention during a volatile election season. Civil rights advocates, meanwhile, emphasized caution, warning that some records could expose private victims or ongoing legal matters.
The Epstein case, which implicated figures in politics, business, and entertainment, remains one of the most talked-about scandals of the past decade. Epsteinās connections to influential individualsāincluding politicians, royals, and executivesāhave long sparked speculation about the extent of his operations and who may have been involved.

Former federal prosecutor Lauren Fields said the release could mark a turning point in public discourse surrounding government transparency. āRegardless of political stance, this declassification has the potential to reshape how Americans view power and accountability,ā Fields noted.
Officials say redactions may still occur to protect sensitive intelligence or personal information, but the intent is a near-complete disclosure. For years, critics of the governmentās handling of Epsteinās case have accused agencies of concealing evidence or shielding elites from exposure. Trumpās order promises to change that narrative.
As anticipation builds, journalists, legal analysts, and online commentators are preparing for what could be one of the most consequential information releases in recent history.
Politics
Netanyahuās UN Speech Triggers Diplomatic Walkouts and Mass Protests

What Happened at the United Nations
On Friday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu addressed the United Nations General Assembly in New York City, defending Israelās ongoing military operations in Gaza. As he spoke, more than 100 delegates from over 50 countries stood up and left the chamberāa rare and significant diplomatic walkout. Outside the UN, thousands of protesters gathered to voice opposition to Netanyahuās policies and call for accountability, including some who labeled him a war criminal. The protest included activists from Palestinian and Jewish groups, along with international allies.

Why Did Delegates and Protesters Walk Out?
The walkouts and protests were a response to Israelās continued offensive in Gaza, which has resulted in widespread destruction and a significant humanitarian crisis. Many countries and individuals have accused Israel of excessive use of force, and some international prosecutors have suggested Netanyahu should face investigation by the International Criminal Court for war crimes, including claims that starvation was used as a weapon against civilians. At the same time, a record number of nationsāover 150ārecently recognized the State of Palestine, leaving the United States as the only permanent UN Security Council member not to join them.
International Reaction and Significance
The diplomatic walkouts and street protests demonstrate increasing global concern over the situation in Gaza and growing support for Palestinian statehood. Several world leaders, including Colombiaās President Gustavo Petro, showed visible solidarity with protesters. Petro called for international intervention and, controversially, for US troops not to follow orders he viewed as supporting ongoing conflict. The US later revoked Petroās visa over his role in the protests, which he argued was evidence of a declining respect for international law.

Why Is This News Important?
The Gaza conflict is one of the worldās most contentious and closely-watched issues. It has drawn strong feelings and differing opinions from governments, activists, and ordinary people worldwide. The United Nations, as an international organization focused on peace and human rights, is a key arena for these debates. The events surrounding Netanyahuās speech show that many nations and voices are urging new actionāfrom recognition of Palestinian rights to calls for sanctions against Israelāwhile discussion and disagreement over the best path forward continue.
This episode at the UN highlights how international diplomacy, public protests, and official policy are all intersecting in real time as the search for solutions to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict remains urgent and unresolved.
Advice1 day agoHow to Make Your Indie Film Pay Off Without Losing Half to Distributors
Entertainment3 weeks agoWhat the Epstein Files Actually Say About Jay-Z
Film Industry4 weeks agoTurning One Short Film into 12 Months of Content
Film Industry3 weeks agoAI Didn’t Steal Your Job. It Revealed Who Actually Does the Work.
Entertainment2 weeks agoWhat Epsteinās Guest Lists Mean for Working Filmmakers: Who Do You Stand Next To?
Film Industry4 weeks agoHow to Write a Logline That Makes Programmers Hit Play
News3 weeks agoCatherine O’Hara: The Comedy Genius Who Taught Us That Character Is Everything
Business1 week agoNew DOJ Files Reveal Naomi Campbellās Deep Ties to Jeffrey Epstein





















